Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Rack mixer router setup

When controlling a rack mixer such as a Midas M32C or X32Rack, it is typical to connect it to a router. I would assume it is desirable to have it closed during liver performance (sole use by mixer). For the laptop/pc used for the main setup, it will need connection to the internet if for no other reason to download updates. Is it typical to connect the mixer router to another network to provide internet capabilities or is it more common to have the laptop/computer connect to a different router when the internet is needed? 

Don Morrier
dmorrier Contributor - Level 3 2019-10-03

2019-10-03

Rack mixer router setup

When controlling a rack mixer such as a Midas M32C or X32Rack, it is typical to connect it to a router. I would assume it is desirable to have it closed during liver performance (sole use by mixer). For the laptop/pc used for the main setup, it will need connection to the internet if for no other reason to download updates. Is it typical to connect the mixer router to another network to provide internet capabilities or is it more common to have the laptop/computer connect to a different router when the internet is needed? 

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Rising Star - Level 1

Re: Rack mixer router setup

@dmorrier 

I prefer to have a 5GHz router on my X32 rack. I can direct-connect my mac/pc for the most reliable control. However, I prefer laptop control. On important gigs I'll use 3 tablets, a couple of phones, my mac, and an X-Touch all controlling the mixer(s). I never connect to the internet during a show.

View solution in original post

Valued Contributor - Level 2

@dmorrier ,

I"m with @DaveMorrison .  I try to hard-wire whenever possible, particularly in a permanent/semi-permanent setup. The show control network should always be closed and should not require Internet access.  Equipment should be attached to a different network for updates.  This also prevents any kind of auto-update just as a show is about to start. For tablet WiFi I also use 5Ghz only but I don't rely on that as my exclusive controller. I also have at least one hard-wired laptop. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Rising Star - Level 1

@dmorrier 

I prefer to have a 5GHz router on my X32 rack. I can direct-connect my mac/pc for the most reliable control. However, I prefer laptop control. On important gigs I'll use 3 tablets, a couple of phones, my mac, and an X-Touch all controlling the mixer(s). I never connect to the internet during a show.

Valued Contributor - Level 2

@dmorrier ,

I"m with @DaveMorrison .  I try to hard-wire whenever possible, particularly in a permanent/semi-permanent setup. The show control network should always be closed and should not require Internet access.  Equipment should be attached to a different network for updates.  This also prevents any kind of auto-update just as a show is about to start. For tablet WiFi I also use 5Ghz only but I don't rely on that as my exclusive controller. I also have at least one hard-wired laptop. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 3

Thanks Dave and Ken. This confirms what I was thniking but there is no substitute for experience. 

Don Morrier