Contributor - Level 2

Signal through house with muted mic and house speakers?

I have encountered an issue while making changes to our P16 outputs and need some help troubleshooting. I can hear signal coming from one of the stage vocal mics (mic 4) through the House Left and Right speakers even though these speakers are muted on the board. The DCA group for Vocals is also muted on the board. And even if I mute mic 4, I can still hear it through House LR. Also having the same issue with mic 1 signal coming out through the subs even though subs are muted on the board.

This problem started when I changed the outputs to the Ultranet for the P-16 monitors. On the P16 monitors, we originally had channel 14 programmed as the Sub and channels 15 and 16 programmed as House L and R speakers. I changed the P16 channel 14 to receive output from vocal mic 1, channel 15 to recieve output from an accoustic guitar on stage, and channel 16 to receive output from vocal mic 4. These three output assignments are categorized as Direct Out with their corresponding signals from the soundboard. For example mic 1 is input channel 17 on the X32 sound board. So the Output Signal for P16 channel 14 is set to Direct Out Ch 17 in the Ultranet section of the Routing menu. All taps are set to PreEQ.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Terri Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-06

2019-09-06

Signal through house with muted mic and house speakers?

I have encountered an issue while making changes to our P16 outputs and need some help troubleshooting. I can hear signal coming from one of the stage vocal mics (mic 4) through the House Left and Right speakers even though these speakers are muted on the board. The DCA group for Vocals is also muted on the board. And even if I mute mic 4, I can still hear it through House LR. Also having the same issue with mic 1 signal coming out through the subs even though subs are muted on the board.

This problem started when I changed the outputs to the Ultranet for the P-16 monitors. On the P16 monitors, we originally had channel 14 programmed as the Sub and channels 15 and 16 programmed as House L and R speakers. I changed the P16 channel 14 to receive output from vocal mic 1, channel 15 to recieve output from an accoustic guitar on stage, and channel 16 to receive output from vocal mic 4. These three output assignments are categorized as Direct Out with their corresponding signals from the soundboard. For example mic 1 is input channel 17 on the X32 sound board. So the Output Signal for P16 channel 14 is set to Direct Out Ch 17 in the Ultranet section of the Routing menu. All taps are set to PreEQ.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• 0 Kudos
  • 13 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Signal through house with muted mic and house speakers?

@Terri 

Hi Terri, welcome to the forum.

The fastest way for us to help is for you to save your X32 scene and attach the file to your post. See Choose File button below. 

Contributor - Level 2

You're totally right. Sorry I forgot to attach. See below. Thank you so much.

Super Contributor - Level 2

@Terri wrote:

You're totally right. Sorry I forgot to attach. See below. Thank you so much.

@Terri 

How are your FOH speakers connected to the X32? It isn't clear whether you are using XLR outputs 15&16 for analogue feeds or Ultranet channels 14-16 for digital connection to IQ speakers. If the later option, it might explain your problem.

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Hi @Terri ,

To add to Rex's @RexBeckett  questions, what do you have the sub connected to? On the Routing, Out 1-16 screen, you have the Main MC assigned to outputs 2 and 14. But output 14 is tapped as Input/LC (raw output). If that is the output (14) change the tap to post-fader.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

FOH speakers and subs are physically connected to the X32 via a digital snake to the S32 stage box and CAT5 cables – no XLR cables are used in our setup except to the floor monitors on stage. If that is the case, do any of the Analog Output settings on the out 1-16 screen affect the House speakers and subs? Analog Outputs 14-16 are currently set to Main M/C, Main L, and Main R respectively. Should I change these Analog Outputs 14-16 on the out 1-16 menu to match how I have the Ultranet P16 outputs 14-16 so that they are vox, guitar, and vox respectively? If I do that, will the House speakers and subs no longer receive any signal?

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Paul. Thank you for your input! No pun intended. I tried changing the tap for output 14 to post-fader, but it did not resolve the issue.

Contributor - Level 2

Is Ultranet 14-16 the only option for digital connection to the House speakers and subs? Is it possible for the P16 monitors to not have the House LR speakers + subs on 3 of the P16 channels AND also send the house mix from the board through the House LR speakers + subs without hearing signals from muted microphones?

Rising Star - Level 1

@Terri 

Are the mains and subs connected to the Ultranet port on your S32? Are you also using P16s?

Contributor - Level 2

Is this Opera House Dave?!  Yes, we are also using P16s.  I did not install the system so am not 100% certain of the connections. The cable going to the speakers is hidden behind walls. BUT I see Cat5 connected to the S32 in the Ultranet port and in the AES50-A port. The later is probably sending and receiving signal to/from the X32. So the house speakers and subs (which are daisy chained) must be receiving signal from the Ultranet port. If that is the case would it mean that the house mix must travel through the Ultranet in order to get to the House LR speakers and subs? And therefore must remain channels 14-16 and on the P16 personal mixers?

For context, I'm trying to give the band more options for their IEM. We are currently using channels 1-13 on the P16 for instruments and vocals. There seems no real need to give the band the House mix in their in-ears but more need to have an additional two vocal channels and guitar channel on the P16. But this may not be possible with our current set up?