Terri Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-06

2019-09-06

Signal through house with muted mic and house speakers?

I have encountered an issue while making changes to our P16 outputs and need some help troubleshooting. I can hear signal coming from one of the stage vocal mics (mic 4) through the House Left and Right speakers even though these speakers are muted on the board. The DCA group for Vocals is also muted on the board. And even if I mute mic 4, I can still hear it through House LR. Also having the same issue with mic 1 signal coming out through the subs even though subs are muted on the board.

This problem started when I changed the outputs to the Ultranet for the P-16 monitors. On the P16 monitors, we originally had channel 14 programmed as the Sub and channels 15 and 16 programmed as House L and R speakers. I changed the P16 channel 14 to receive output from vocal mic 1, channel 15 to recieve output from an accoustic guitar on stage, and channel 16 to receive output from vocal mic 4. These three output assignments are categorized as Direct Out with their corresponding signals from the soundboard. For example mic 1 is input channel 17 on the X32 sound board. So the Output Signal for P16 channel 14 is set to Direct Out Ch 17 in the Ultranet section of the Routing menu. All taps are set to PreEQ.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• 0 Kudos
  • 13 Replies
Rising Star - Level 1

Re: Signal through house with muted mic and house speakers?

@Terri 

The connection to LR and Subs (C) from the mixer is the key to answering your question.

I've got a question about the scene you posted 9-06-19.scn. Aside from the problem of two mics not muting, the system is working, correct? 

If that is true, I would guess the LR and Subs on the Center Channel (C) are being fed from XLR outputs 15 & 16 for LR and either 2 or 14 for the Subs. This could either be FOH or the S32. 

What brand are the Main speakers? If they're not Behringer or Turbosound it's even more likely that the LR and Subs are being fed from the Analog XLRs.

Volunteer Moderator

@Terri wrote:

So the house speakers and subs (which are daisy chained) must be receiving signal from the Ultranet port. If that is the case would it mean that the house mix must travel through the Ultranet in order to get to the House LR speakers and subs? And therefore must remain channels 14-16 and on the P16 personal mixers? 

Yes to your first question - no to your second question. But the solution is going to take a bit of work and some shielded ethernet cable. Allow me to explain.

On the X32 Routing, Ultranet screen, you typically assign channels for the P16 personal monitors. That screen has a two-fold purpose.

1. This is hardwired to the Ultranet port on the back of the X32 and cannot be changed.

2. This screen can also be used to setup 2 banks of 8 to be sent down the AES50 cable to the stagebox. If these 2 banks of 8 are assigned to the 5th and 6th AES50 banks of 8, they will come out of the Ultranet port on the stagebox. But this assignment can be changed to any banks of 8 (eg Out 1-8, 9-16).

Since you have the majority of the P16 channels assigned on the Routing, Ultranet screen. I would suggest that you run a shielded cat5e/cat6/cat7 (one of these) from the Ultranet port on the back of the X32 to the P16D (distribution box if you have it, or to the first P16M if you are daisy-chaining them). Then run the cable feeding the sub and Main L/R to the back of the S32.

Next, on the Routing, AES50-a screen, change the 5th and 6th banks (AES50 A33-40, 41-48 in X32-Edit) from Ultranet 1-8, 9-16 to Out 1-8, 9-16 respectively. You already have the sub assigned to the 14 output (Routing, Out 1-16 screen), Main L to output 15 and Main R to output 16. Just make sure the sub tap (output 14) is still changed to post fader.

What this does is create 2 separate Ultranet zones.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, mostly the system works. One other issue I have not been able to figure out is one of the backup vocal mic signal (input channel 18 on the x32 board) is no longer coming to the P16s. It was mixed in to channel 11 on P16 outputs using Mix Bus 10 (on the x32) and the Sends On Fader command adding this backup vocal singer (input channel 18) to Mix Bus 10 along with one other mic. But the backup vocal mic doesn't even show green lights on the P16. 

There are no XLR cables coming to or from the X32 and S32. Only shielded Cat5 from the AES50-A port. Same for the House speakers and Subs. They only have signals through Cat5 - no XLR. The only XLR cables being used are going to two floor monitors. 

The Main speakers are Turbosound.

Volunteer Moderator

@Terri wrote:

Yes, mostly the system works. One other issue I have not been able to figure out is one of the backup vocal mic signal (input channel 18 on the x32 board) is no longer coming to the P16s. It was mixed in to channel 11 on P16 outputs using Mix Bus 10 (on the x32) and the Sends On Fader command adding this backup vocal singer (input channel 18) to Mix Bus 10 along with one other mic. But the backup vocal mic doesn't even show green lights on the P16. 

That is because chan 18 is sent to mixbus 10 post fader and the DCA mute is on  (been there, done that)

There are no XLR cables coming to or from the X32 and S32. Only shielded Cat5 from the AES50-A port. Same for the House speakers and Subs. They only have signals through Cat5 - no XLR. The only XLR cables being used are going to two floor monitors. 

If you want full 16 channels to your P16's and FOH (sub, Main LR) separate and still use Ultranet for both, you are going to have to run a second shielded ethernet cable (no ethercons required) from the X32 Ultranet port to the FOH speakers.

The Main speakers are Turbosound.

Are they iQ (eg. iQ12, iQ15, iQ15b, iQ18b by chance? If so in all likelyhood they are setup to receive their signal via Ultranet.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!