Contributor - Level 2

Ultranet Question

I run sound for my church and we are looking to add delayed speakers midway in our space. I am looking at the iQ series because of the Ultranet connectivity. I am wanting to replace our Main L&R and Subs with iQ's as well. Here are my thoughts:

I currently is all 16 Ultranet channels of the PM16 for IEMs. They are connected up stage to my S32. My mixer is the full size x32. I would like to have all my speakers running off of Ultranet also. I have seen some things discussing multiple Ultranet networks. How do I achieve this?

AMG812 Contributor - Level 2 2020-02-12

2020-02-12

Ultranet Question

I run sound for my church and we are looking to add delayed speakers midway in our space. I am looking at the iQ series because of the Ultranet connectivity. I am wanting to replace our Main L&R and Subs with iQ's as well. Here are my thoughts:

I currently is all 16 Ultranet channels of the PM16 for IEMs. They are connected up stage to my S32. My mixer is the full size x32. I would like to have all my speakers running off of Ultranet also. I have seen some things discussing multiple Ultranet networks. How do I achieve this?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Ultranet Question

One Ultranet "network" (I think "universe" is the official term, and "official" I mean I think @Roblof made it up first) is run off the console's own ultranet port, the other is run off the stagebox's own ultranet port.  The signals set in the console's routing>ultranet tab will always apply to the console's own ultranet socket.  However you can get a different bunch of signals to the stagebox's ultranet socket by changing the routing>AES50 A\B > outputs 33-48 away from p16 1-16 to something else.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@AMG812 You simply use another staging menu like "outputs 1-16" or "aux out" 1-6 for the aes50a 33-40 and 41-48 slots. Make your mixbus assignments in those menus for the appropriate ch's. For the sake of argument set out 1 to mixbus 1, out 2 to mixbus 2 and out 3 to mixbus 3. In your aes50a out 1-48 routing set aes5oa 33-40 so it says "out 1-8" Connect your P16m to your stagebox ultranet port. Your first 3 ch's on the P16M will be the mixbuses you assigned there. Whatever you had assigned for your speakers in the mixer ultranet out menu and connected to the mixer ultranet port will still be intact.

Thanks for the Accepted Solutions and Kudos! Always appreciated IF duly earned.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

One Ultranet "network" (I think "universe" is the official term, and "official" I mean I think @Roblof made it up first) is run off the console's own ultranet port, the other is run off the stagebox's own ultranet port.  The signals set in the console's routing>ultranet tab will always apply to the console's own ultranet socket.  However you can get a different bunch of signals to the stagebox's ultranet socket by changing the routing>AES50 A\B > outputs 33-48 away from p16 1-16 to something else.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@AMG812 You are able to get other Ultranet "zones" (unofficial term) by using the Ultranet port on the stagebox or multiple stageboxes. Your S32, and most, if not all stageboxes, carry the p16 assignments via  aes50 33-48, by default that assignment is set for p16 1-8 and 9-16 but it can be changed via the aes50 routing menu to other things. An example would be setting aes50 33-48 to use out 1-8 and out 9-16. In that case the IQ speaker connected there would carry a different source than if connected via the Ultranet port on the mixer. The mixer itself uses the Ultranet out routing menu to assign p16 outputs but that only controls the port on the rear of the mixer.

Edit: sorry Craig, you beat me to it!

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

How would I select what channels are going to the P16s if I'm using the Ultranet port on the X32 to control my speakers? I'm currently sending a couple busses to the P16 for drums and BGVs. 

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@AMG812 You simply use another staging menu like "outputs 1-16" or "aux out" 1-6 for the aes50a 33-40 and 41-48 slots. Make your mixbus assignments in those menus for the appropriate ch's. For the sake of argument set out 1 to mixbus 1, out 2 to mixbus 2 and out 3 to mixbus 3. In your aes50a out 1-48 routing set aes5oa 33-40 so it says "out 1-8" Connect your P16m to your stagebox ultranet port. Your first 3 ch's on the P16M will be the mixbuses you assigned there. Whatever you had assigned for your speakers in the mixer ultranet out menu and connected to the mixer ultranet port will still be intact.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you guy for your help. I'm going to do some exploring and present the upgrade to our church when we expand out space this summer.