thefed Contributor - Level 3 2019-08-19

2019-08-19

Using an S16 Snake with P16M without X32, is this possible?

We are using the S16 snake on both ends. One end is connected to a board via the XLR ports, and the other end is for the worship team.

QUSTIONS:

1) I was told that I cannot use the P16M  without  the Behringer X32 mixing board to do the routing. Is this true?

2) If not, can I simply daisy chain four P16M to the band's S16 Ultranet port and expect it to work?

3) If not, what is required?

4) If it does work, what do we need to get the P16Ms to work without using the power adapters on each? We just need the minimum hardware. I see the P16i and P16d, but no one can answer which one we need that will work with only the S16 to S16 configuration that we already have.

5) if the P16d is enough (by connecting S16 Ultranet out to p16d Ultranet in), is there a way to rack mount it?

• 0 Kudos
  • 26 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Using an S16 Snake with P16M without X32, is this possible?

@thefed wrote:

in the meantime, can you guys confirm the following is what I need to verify when I get back to church?

Looks good to me.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Super Contributor - Level 2

@Paul_Vannatto wrote:

@thefed wrote:

in the meantime, can you guys confirm the following is what I need to verify when I get back to church?

Looks good to me.

@thefed 

and me.  The Slave S16 is probably in mode 1 at the moment. The Master S16 is most likely in mode 7 or 8.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Slightly OT. If A&H ME monitoring systems were suggested to go with the A&H mixer makes me think that the mixer would have to be one of the A&H digital range. In which case why not go with one of the A&H digital I/O stage boxes to go with the mixing console rather than trying to shoehorn behringer S16s into the set up? 

Contributor - Level 3

I'm not sure why they did it this way. Probably some cost issue or placement issue. at this point, it is what it is.

Contributor - Level 3

@RexBeckett @Paul_Vannatto @GaryHiggins , I can now verify that the choir loft does look like the diagram I made but using the ADA8200. I'm left with one thing to verify (since I couldn't turn it on today): "what mode is the master s16?"

Based on the led indicator on the slave S16, which shows "1-8", I'm assuming it's on "mode 1", correct? For the purpose of figuring this out, does it matter what the mode is on the master at this point?

monitor configuration.JPG

Here's an email that just came in from tech support which makes me wonder what assumptions this guy is making about the master settings. The slave indicated 1-8 and not 44.1 or 48.0 when i checked today. Before I ask for $$ to buy the P16M, I hope this is all I need to do:

You can actually accomplish what you've discussed with just the additional P16-M mixers and the S16s you already have.  On the "stage" S16, press and hold the CONFIG button and make note of what the display says (either 44.1 or 48.0).  Still holding the CONFIG button, rotate the HA CONTROL knob clockwise two notches.  The display should read the same as before (either 44.1 or 48.0), but now the SPLITTER LED is illuminated.  Release the CONFIG button.

With this configuration, the local inputs of that S16 will feed to the Ultranet port on the back.  you can then daisy-chain the P16-M mixers to this port, and the 16 inputs of the S16 will feed to individual channels of the P16-M.

If you'd like, a P16-D can be added between the S16 and the P16-M mixers.  Any P16-M directly connected to the P16-D (not daisy-chained) will be powered via the ethernet cable. 

Volunteer Moderator

The key point of the tech's email is that the Splitter LED must be lit (and not the the SN Master LED). That will mean that you are in mode 4. This will connect the 16 inputs to the Ultranet outputs. If his explanation is unclear, follow these instructions. 

For the master S16, as long as the SN Master LED is lit, it should be OK.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Valued Contributor - Level 1

it all looks good! Your tech seems to have a good understanding after all!! Hope you follow up with how it all works. Interesting thread!! Not that much user activity over the years that I recall with people using "standalone" mode so this has been fun!