Contributor - Level 2

X32-Compact routing channels 17-32 to Ultranet

X-32 Compact, S16 on AES50 (A) inputs routed to 1-16, SD16 on AES50(B) inputs routed to 17-32, Ultranet switch on Ultranet Port, and 8 P16 heads attached.

We're trying to get channels 17-32 routed to the ultranet and having a bear of a time. 1-16 work fine, but I cannot figure out what I need to do to get 17-32 to route. What I would prefer would to be able to somehow map them into L/R pairs (1L/17R) or something like that and route them to an output that I could assign to the Ultranet, without having to actually link them as L/R on the mains. But even just being able to get 17-32 to route at all would be helpful

korwyn Contributor - Level 2 2019-10-28

2019-10-28

X32-Compact routing channels 17-32 to Ultranet

X-32 Compact, S16 on AES50 (A) inputs routed to 1-16, SD16 on AES50(B) inputs routed to 17-32, Ultranet switch on Ultranet Port, and 8 P16 heads attached.

We're trying to get channels 17-32 routed to the ultranet and having a bear of a time. 1-16 work fine, but I cannot figure out what I need to do to get 17-32 to route. What I would prefer would to be able to somehow map them into L/R pairs (1L/17R) or something like that and route them to an output that I could assign to the Ultranet, without having to actually link them as L/R on the mains. But even just being able to get 17-32 to route at all would be helpful

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32-Compact routing channels 17-32 to Ultranet

@korwyn If I'm understanding you correctly, if you have 16 ch's assigned to the ultranet already (1-16 work fine) then there are no other ch's that can be added-at least as individual p16 ch's. 16 is the limit. There are a few work arounds. IF tou don't need a mix of ALL 1-16 and ALL 17-32 together, by using the "p16 zone" routing trick you can get at least 3 seperate P16 mixes, 1 from the desk, 1 from the S16 and 1 from the SD16. These still each will have a total of only 16 p16 ch's but can carry totally different assignments from each other. This is possible because the S16 on port A by default uses aes50a 33-48 for its p16 port. The SD16 on port B will use aes50b 33-48 for its p16 port. The desk uses the ultranet routing menu assignments from its ultranet port.  You need to use the outputs 1-16 menu (or the aux out menu) additionally to assign ch sources, then use those routing menus for aes50a/b 33-48. For instance if aes50a 33-40 = "out 1-8" then the S16 ultranet port will carry the outputs 1-8 routing assignment, not the ultranet routing menu assignment.

You can also do as you suggested, make each (or some) p16 ch's a mixbus instead of an individual instrument ch. These can then contain multiple other ch's. Say p16 ch1=mixbus 1 which has all the drum ch's mixed to taste.

As long as you have both the S16 and SD16 inputs mapped to mixer input ch's 1-32 you should be able to mix and match any combo of those 32 ch's to mixbuses. Then assign that mix to a P16 ch.

Volunteer Moderator

Hi Corwin @korwyn ,

As Gary @GaryHiggins mentioned, the Ultranet and P16 personal monitors are limited to 16 individual signals. Gary's suggestion of using mixbuses to combine signals is one solution. But another new solution should be available soon.

Midas has just started production of the new DP48 personal mixers. Since it uses the AES50 (instead of Ultranet), it can access all 48 channels available on the AES50, which can be assigned in 12 groups. So if there are 10 mics on the drums, they can be assigned to one group (Drums) and each input has level, pan, basic EQ and compressor). It also has reverb, ambient mic and stereo aux. Add to that, 2 musicians can use one DP48 (since there is a Mix A and B). It is very easy to learn and use. 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2