Contributor - Level 2

X32 Firmware version 4, anyone installed?

I've just downloaded but not yet installed version 4 firmware for our church's X32.  A friend in another church has also downloaded it and actually installed it.  The installation process apparently went without a hitch, all saved Scenes were carried forward and not lost from this upgrade; unfotunately, the same cannot be said for Snippets.  It seems on his console all the Snippets were lost, although he actually uses very few.

In the set-up in my church I make quite extensive use of Snippets to store the settings for specific individuals who may, on different occasions, use the same mic and channel as someone else has used in a previous service.  So, I am anxious not to lose them OR to find some method of successfully saving the existing ones.

Does the process fo saving Scenes to USB also save Snippets?  if not, is there any other method of backing them up so that they can be restored if lost during a firmware upgrade?

TIA
Jeff

JeffClarke1 Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-16

2019-11-16

X32 Firmware version 4, anyone installed?

I've just downloaded but not yet installed version 4 firmware for our church's X32.  A friend in another church has also downloaded it and actually installed it.  The installation process apparently went without a hitch, all saved Scenes were carried forward and not lost from this upgrade; unfotunately, the same cannot be said for Snippets.  It seems on his console all the Snippets were lost, although he actually uses very few.

In the set-up in my church I make quite extensive use of Snippets to store the settings for specific individuals who may, on different occasions, use the same mic and channel as someone else has used in a previous service.  So, I am anxious not to lose them OR to find some method of successfully saving the existing ones.

Does the process fo saving Scenes to USB also save Snippets?  if not, is there any other method of backing them up so that they can be restored if lost during a firmware upgrade?

TIA
Jeff

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 Firmware version 4, anyone installed?

@JeffClarke1 

I can confirm that updating my X32 to firmware V4.0 cleared all snippets but it did keep the scenes. I think if you export the Show to USB, it will contain all the snippets as well as the scenes.

View solution in original post

Volunteer Moderator

@JeffClarke1 wrote:

If you go to the Snippets screen on the console, press the Utility button, you can select the snippets, then export them to a USB stick. Or as Rex @RexBeckett suggested, export the show (on the Cues screen with the Utility button pressed). Shows will contain cues, scenes and snippets. 

It is always good practice to backup your scenes and snippets to somewhere external to the console.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

Super Contributor - Level 2

@JeffClarke1 

I can confirm that updating my X32 to firmware V4.0 cleared all snippets but it did keep the scenes. I think if you export the Show to USB, it will contain all the snippets as well as the scenes.

Contributor - Level 2

@RexBeckett 

Thank you!  That confirms that what happened to my friend was not an isolated case.

Thank you also for the suggestion about exporting the Show.  Is there any method of verifying that this does actually export the snippets and make them available for reinstalling?

Volunteer Moderator

@JeffClarke1 wrote:

If you go to the Snippets screen on the console, press the Utility button, you can select the snippets, then export them to a USB stick. Or as Rex @RexBeckett suggested, export the show (on the Cues screen with the Utility button pressed). Shows will contain cues, scenes and snippets. 

It is always good practice to backup your scenes and snippets to somewhere external to the console.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2

@Paul_Vannatto 

Thank you!

I do actually keep USB back ups of all my Scene and Show settings.  The additional info you have given will be very useful in ensuring that the upgrade to V4 is as "painless" as possible!

Contributor - Level 3

Installed last night and ran all day today, no issues. Backed up the show to USB before updating. There were a number of data points lost all the channels were cleared after update. A simple restore of the show and everything was where I left it.

Multiple services mixed today without issue. iPad lag still an issue/not addressed. The visual updates alone are worth it; much easier to look at! The tabs on the gray screens are a bit clustered up, but something to get used to.

Contributor - Level 1

Did the update and the only thing I noticed is that a few of the icons were different. I will say that I was a little scared when the update finished and it looked like a complete reset of the console, but when I checked my scenes they were all still there, recalled one and everything was fine. Ran it today without any issues.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I also ran the upgrade yesterday, though after the main Morning Service, having followed the advice given by @RexBeckett  and @Paul_Vannatto  to create a new back up.  (Many thanks for that btw.  I did have back ups of all the Scene settings but since the Snippets are not necessarily associated with any specific Scene, being a store of e.g. mic settings for a specific individaul and so loaded in independently as needed, the information about using Utility to back them up was invaluable, and something new for me to learn.)

Everything went without a hitch, the Scenes were all still there and reloading the Snippets was easy, so "good to go".

My initial impression of the revised GUI: very nice, and potentially much easier to read when in the pressure of a live service.