Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

X32 Routing|Bus Compression Help Please

Hello,

I thought I got this figured out but I am still having issues.  The X-USB card is currently configured as 2in/2out.  In the attached scene, I am using Mixbus 11 & 12 for live streaming which are using physical outputs 11 and 12.  I need to also route them to the RCA outputs and to whatever outputs the X-USB card would recognize as configured, 2in/2out.  I would also like to configure Mixbus 11&12 with proper compression and/or make up gain so that sound level can remain constant during loudest and quietness moments of the service.  If that's not possible, please tell other ways I can achieve.  I want to stop getting text messages from people during live streaming saying sound is too low or loud (LOL).  I got the precision limiter added and configured as post and still I am not doing much gain reduction not matter how high I turn up the input gain.  Thank you in advance.      

Tags (2)
dalexis Contributor - Level 2 2020-05-18

2020-05-18

X32 Routing|Bus Compression Help Please

Hello,

I thought I got this figured out but I am still having issues.  The X-USB card is currently configured as 2in/2out.  In the attached scene, I am using Mixbus 11 & 12 for live streaming which are using physical outputs 11 and 12.  I need to also route them to the RCA outputs and to whatever outputs the X-USB card would recognize as configured, 2in/2out.  I would also like to configure Mixbus 11&12 with proper compression and/or make up gain so that sound level can remain constant during loudest and quietness moments of the service.  If that's not possible, please tell other ways I can achieve.  I want to stop getting text messages from people during live streaming saying sound is too low or loud (LOL).  I got the precision limiter added and configured as post and still I am not doing much gain reduction not matter how high I turn up the input gain.  Thank you in advance.      

• 0 Kudos
  • 18 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: X32 Routing|Bus Compression Help Please

@dalexis 

Try this scene. I put Bus 11-12 on all the Aux out (didn't know. which one you wanted). They're also on USB 1-2. 

Compression. I don't know if you'll ever be able to squeeze it that hard with getting feedback. Try limiting the mics (higher ratio and threshold) and give the performers a good talking to😊.  Keep your eye/finger on the problem performers???

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@dalexis 

Try this scene. I put Bus 11-12 on all the Aux out (didn't know. which one you wanted). They're also on USB 1-2. 

Compression. I don't know if you'll ever be able to squeeze it that hard with getting feedback. Try limiting the mics (higher ratio and threshold) and give the performers a good talking to😊.  Keep your eye/finger on the problem performers???

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Contributor - Level 1

@dalexis wrote:

Hello,

It's best to optimize compression on individual channels before compression a bus or master as if you overcompress a bus or master you'll get an unnatural unpleasant pumping sound and loud parts will have zero dynamics.  Tip is while band playing view their compression and see where the box is moving and lower compression threshold to get it to activate where their box lands that way it'll activate consistently and do that for every channel.

For precision limiter after you have INSERTED it on bus make sure you select that bus and tab over to config and on right side see the FX make sure it's inserted POST EQ and compression.  Adjust input gain until see yellow bars go down to about 3db.  

if you do that you should be able to achieve a consistent volume level without clipping.  If you really want to compress the overall mix I'd suggest inserting a multiband compressor which is often used in mastering to emphasize and give consistency to the 3 common EQ bands (low, mid, high).  However, on X32 you can only insert one FX per bus.  Hence a solution is insert multiband compressor on your stereo linked mixbus then 'send' to stereo linked matrix pair insert precision limiter on that matrix pair then route that matrix pair to the output your sending to broadcast. 

See our stream using above technique/setup starts at 4:30. https://youtu.be/ES6RKK0gEMw

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

@DaveMorrison - Hi Dave, I wanted them assigned to the RCA L/R outputs and to the USB 1-2.  Thank you and appreciate the help and advice very much.  I'll get it loaded and tested this evening and let you know.  

Regards

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

@jpearce - First of all, thank you so very much for your help.  I appreciate it.  I will certainly try everything during tomorrow evening service.  Regarding this "Tip is while band playing view their compression and see where the box is moving and lower compression threshold to get it to activate where their box lands that way it'll activate consistently and do that for every channel."  When you say "box", are you talking about the gain reduction box or the threshold box on the individual channels?

Highlighted

@dalexis wrote:

@jpearce - First of all, thank you so very much for your help.  I appreciate it.  I will certainly try everything during tomorrow evening service.  Regarding this "Tip is while band playing view their compression and see where the box is moving and lower compression threshold to get it to activate where their box lands that way it'll activate consistently and do that for every channel."  When you say "box", are you talking about the gain reduction box or the threshold box on the individual channels?

@dalexis wrote:

It's the threshold box if you press "activate" compression on that channel when that instrument/vocalist is playing you should see a smaller box moving up and down along a line.  Then turn threshold knob down to where you see that box move to and that way you can keep that volume level steady and allow for 1-2 dB of dynamics naturally.  Do that for each channel however most guitar players have their own compression pedal etc but still check as some don't use one and you can assist that by activating compression on their channel.  

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

@jpearce - The stream looks and sounds perfect.  Would you mind sharing your scene with me please.  Due to my level in sound management|reinforcement and the X32 mixer, it would be nice to be able to see how you managed to keep everything so tight, got the multiband compressor configured and everything else.  Regards

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Following. I'd love to see the scene as well.

Highlighted

@dalexis wrote:

@jpearce - The stream looks and sounds perfect.  Would you mind sharing your scene with me please.  Due to my level in sound management|reinforcement and the X32 mixer, it would be nice to be able to see how you managed to keep everything so tight, got the multiband compressor configured and everything else.  Regards

Sure thing, see attached. 

Setup is channels 1-32 we do sends on fader to stereo linked mixbus 1+2 (REC STREAM) for unique stream/broadcast mix separate form FOH mix.  Inserted multiband compressor on that mixbus which is then sent to stereo linked matrix 5+6 with precision limiter inserted.  That is routed to output 7+8 with two XLRs plugged directly into our stereo Blackmagic video switcher then to our Matrox encoder to streaming platforms. We also have Card routing as channels 1-24 as physical vocals/instruments 1-24 then channels 25-32 as board output 1-8 so that our output 7+8 is identified as track 31+32 on DAW as matrix 5+6 stream mix.  That way we can record full service into DAW for future use and people to have copies at same time as streaming service.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

@jpearce - You're AWESOME.  I appreciate it and thank you so very very much. I am pretty sure a lot of other people will appreciate what you've done.  I'll get it loaded and let you know if you have any questions.