Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

X32 Routing to Two SD-8's

Hi - I'm a newbie at this and have some pretty basic questions. I have included a diagram to show what I want to achieve. My setup will be two SD8's - one on the left side of the building and one on the right side of the  building. They will be connected to AES-50 A & B at the X32 digital mixer. The left one (A) will feed the left house speaker and two floor monitors and the right one (B) will feed the right house speaker and two floor monitors. I will only be using input channels 1 through 16 on the mixer; 1-8 being fed from SD-8(A), and 9- 16 fed from SD-8 (B).

So...do I setup the inputs as AES50 A1-8 for the left SD8 (A), and AES50 B9-16 for the right SD8 (B)? With  this setup (if it's even correct) could I use only channel 16 as a local input for a wireless mic receiver, or, is that now only dedicated to AES50 B?

My main question:
How do I set up the outputs for the SD8s (A&B) to feed my monitors and house speakers from each SD8, according to how the diagram shows it? The diagram is only an example. I may have more, or less inputs and more or less outputs (aux's), but I need to know specifically how to set up my main L/R - one on the AES - A and one on the AES - B.

Thanks,
Rick

RickBennevendo Contributor - Level 2 2020-02-12

2020-02-12

X32 Routing to Two SD-8's

Hi - I'm a newbie at this and have some pretty basic questions. I have included a diagram to show what I want to achieve. My setup will be two SD8's - one on the left side of the building and one on the right side of the  building. They will be connected to AES-50 A & B at the X32 digital mixer. The left one (A) will feed the left house speaker and two floor monitors and the right one (B) will feed the right house speaker and two floor monitors. I will only be using input channels 1 through 16 on the mixer; 1-8 being fed from SD-8(A), and 9- 16 fed from SD-8 (B).

So...do I setup the inputs as AES50 A1-8 for the left SD8 (A), and AES50 B9-16 for the right SD8 (B)? With  this setup (if it's even correct) could I use only channel 16 as a local input for a wireless mic receiver, or, is that now only dedicated to AES50 B?

My main question:
How do I set up the outputs for the SD8s (A&B) to feed my monitors and house speakers from each SD8, according to how the diagram shows it? The diagram is only an example. I may have more, or less inputs and more or less outputs (aux's), but I need to know specifically how to set up my main L/R - one on the AES - A and one on the AES - B.

Thanks,
Rick

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

Re: X32 Routing to Two SD-8's

@RickBennevendo 

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the delay, but the A.I. spam filter removed your post just as I was finishing the reply (the first time). At least now, your PDF shows up. 

"AES50 B9-16 for the right SD8 (B)" These stageboxes always output on to channels 1-8. If you daisy-chain both of your SD8, then the input to port B will be automatically shifted to 9-16 (in the case of SD8s). For your setup, you would want the mixer's (channel 9-16) inputs to be "AES50 B1-8 for the right SD8 (B)".

As for the outputs, you have many choices. You could have each box have the same outputs (Mon 1,2,3,4,x,x,L,R). This is easy. Set the side switch to 1-8 on both boxes. For your diagram, set the left box to 1-8 and the right to 9-16. Now we have to do two steps. Under Routing: Out 1-16 (see the first picture). I put L and R on both sides of the stage. Out 1-16Out 1-16AES50AES50

Default routing will take care of the AES50 outputs.

If you have a question, please ask.

And feel free to upload your current scene file if there is problems.

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@RickBennevendo 

Hello Rick, welcome to the community.

Yes you should route AES50-A 1-8 to channels 1-8 and AES50-B 1-8 to channels 9-16:

Routing, InputsRouting, Inputs

You can select a local input as the source for channel 16 on its Config page as long as the input is routed to one of the unused channels. Alternatively you could use the new User In routing to replace the AES50 input with the local one.

The first stage routing for the outputs is this:

Routing, Out 1-16Routing, Out 1-16

Then you route these staged outputs to the two AES50 ports:

Routing, AES50Routing, AES50

This routing for AES50 is usually set by default.

Set the switch on the SD8 on AES50-B to Outputs 9-16.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Dave - thanks a million sir. Thanks for the various ways to connect. I can't daisy chain this time (well I could but it would be a lot of exposed wiring) as I have run concealed wiring to each side of the sanctuary, so, plan to use A & B on the console. So...sounds like you're saying AES50-A Input is ok at 1-8, but are you also saying AES50-B Input should be set at 1-8 to correspond with channels 9-16 on the board? The board will automatically recognize that? Please forgive all the ignorant questions here. Smiley Sad

Outputs: First of all...where do you get those diagrams!!?? I keep seeing them. LOL. So where in the setup do you tell the X32 to make SD-8 A Output use 1 & 2 for mixbus 1 & 2, and B to use 1 & 2 for mixbus 3 & 4?

L/R on both sides of the stage?? I can use the #8 output of SD-8 A for left house and the #8 output of SD-8 B for right house?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Rex - thanks very much. I think I'm catching on. Can you tell me where you get those charts that show I/O settings?

Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

@RickBennevendo 

These diagrams are screen shots of the program X32-Edit available from behringer for PC, Mac, linux, and Raspberry Pi. It's a great way to setup your mixer. All you have to do is follow the pictures. You could also upload your current scene file (you'd have to save it first) and we can fix it for you. 

Here are (older) instructions for saving/uploading a scene. https://behringerwiki.musictribe.com/index.php?title=Uploading_files_to_the_forum
Upload by Choose File at the bottom of the window.

Rex's pictures described both the inputs and outputs and I descibe just the outputs.

Routing: Out tab (or Output or Output 1-16 or Out 1-16—depending on firmware) is where the mixbusses and LR are normally setup. They then have to be sent to an output like XLR or a stage box.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Dave - thanks again, very much sir. We are remodeling our sanctuary so we are operating out of the fellowship hall with just one SD-8, no monitors, and two house speakers. Smiley Happy Lucky me! I didn't have to figure out too much for that. I've totally wired the new sanctuary to fit the model I've described. I'm stopping by today and will get the current scene copied.

Is the attachment what I want to download to my PC?

Rick <><

Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

@RickBennevendo 

The Scene File will be "whatever you name it".scn. I think most people export it to their USB Flash drive then transfer it to the PC. Since you don't have X32-Edit (yet), that would be the way to do it.

Did you use Shielded Cat 5 or better when you wired your sanctuary?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, sir, I used shielded Cat 6. I moved the board over temporarily and plugged in the two SD-8's (where they're going at the front of the sanctuary), and plugged in the new Cat 6 to the board at the back of the sanctuary, just to make sure it was detecting them. I got both SD-8 pictures come up on the X32 screen. THAT was a relief!

Thanks again for taking the time to help! Smiley Happy Many blessings!