Contributor - Level 2

XR18 CD Player Input: Line In vs Mic Input

Brand new to the XR18 (not even connected yet) and I'm wondering about connections.

Is there an advantage to using the line-in jacks for CD player sound vs using a standard mic input line? We won't have a lot of mic inputs (small church) and I'm wondering if there is any pluses for using one input over another. I imagine there are no differences in voltages it needs on one versus another but I don't know about that either.

Accpreciate any hints, tips or help. 

Fredrick Hunt
Fred72933 Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-30

2019-11-30

XR18 CD Player Input: Line In vs Mic Input

Brand new to the XR18 (not even connected yet) and I'm wondering about connections.

Is there an advantage to using the line-in jacks for CD player sound vs using a standard mic input line? We won't have a lot of mic inputs (small church) and I'm wondering if there is any pluses for using one input over another. I imagine there are no differences in voltages it needs on one versus another but I don't know about that either.

Accpreciate any hints, tips or help. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: XR18 CD Player Input: Line In vs Mic Input

@Fred72933 Better off imo using the line connections and leaving the mic ch's free for other uses. You never know when you may need another voice or instrument. The CD player is meant for line out use in general and should work quite well there. 

Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

@Fred72933 ,

I agree with @GaryHiggins . It's what the Aux In (17/18) are for.  You don't need the Midas pre-amps nor do you need the dynamics that are available on Channels 1-16.  Just to clarify, whether you connect to Aux In or the TRS input (center) of the Combi connector on 1-16, you are still using a line input.  

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

So, the only real difference is a pre-amp. Okay, that makes sense.

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated!

Fredrick Hunt
Rising Star - Level 3

@Fred72933 

Also no dynamics as in no Noise Gate nor Compressor.  There is an EQ but no Low Cut filter for Aux In. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver